- It is the responsibility of the PI to ensure that all personnel forms (hiring, funding change, and timesheets) on the project are submitted in a timely manner. Failure to do so could result in disallowed labor cost transfers resulting in effort being charged to a non-sponsored funding source.
- For labor effort to be charged directly to a federally sponsored project, it must be allowable, allocable, reasonable, and treated consistently.
- Review the training presentation on Administering Labor Expenditures on Sponsored Projects for additional information.
Hiring Research Faculty & Classified Staff
- PI and Department Administrator are responsible for initiating hiring paperwork.
- Follow school/ college/ institute’s and HR guidelines for hiring permanent personnel.
- Important resources for hiring permanent employee
A temporary employee is hired on a full-time or part-time basis and has no continuous status; employed at will.
Use Banner Electronic Personnel Action Form (EPAF) to hire temporary employees.
The Pooled Position Lookup for temporary appointments is located under the Employee Services Tab in Patriot Web Self Service
Types of Temporary Appointments:
- Faculty Summer Research pooled position: SRXXXX-xx
- Wage pooled position: WGXXXX-xx
- Student Wage pooled position: SWXXXX-xx
- Wage Employment (Non-Student) University Policy No. 2217
- Graduate Research Assistant pooled position: GRXXXX-xx
- Graduate Student Appointments – The Provost Office
- In-State Tuition University Policy No. 6003
- Graduate health insurance subsidy
- Health Insurance for Graduate Students University Policy No. 6001
Hiring Personnel for National Science Foundation (NSF) Projects
- Misconduct in Research
In accordance with University Policy No. 4007, all individuals working on NSF projects must complete a brief exercise regarding misconduct in research once every five years.
The PI will need to certify on the proposal Routing Form that he or she has taken the exercise and will have each individual working on the project complete the exercise prior to receiving payment from NSF funds.
- Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR)
All undergraduates, graduate students, and postdoctoral researchers who will be supported by NSF to conduct a research should take the RCR training.
NSF limits salary compensation for senior project personnel to no more than two months of their regular salary in any one year. This limit includes salary received from all NSF funded grants. Please review Senior Project Personnel Salaries Policy.
Hiring Personnel for NIH Projects
A cost transfer is a transfer of expenses to a federally funded sponsored project for a charge previously recorded elsewhere. Federal projects generally have a fund number that starts with 20. Cost transfers over 120 days will only be approved if there are extenuating circumstances.